Wade speaks with the three winners of Best Club President in District 5240 for 2018-2019, Sherry Sim (Best Small Club President Rotary Club of Cayucos), Terry Moerler (Best Medium Club President, Rotary Club of Westlake Village Sunrise) and Doug Halter (Best Large Club President, Rotary Club of Ventura).
Sherry, Terry, and Doug discuss some of the ways they became effective club leaders, helping to strength their membership and create inspiring projects. This includes:
- The importance of having club goals
- The challenges of aging membership and techniques on how to bring younger people into the club through strategies such as young professional membership
- Shifting from measuring engagement rather than attendance, which led to reinventing meetings to be more inspiring, interesting and enjoyable
- Changing membership offerings, such as adding in corporate and spousal membership, as well as adding Friends of Rotary
- Encouraging members to create projects that motivate them as well as address the needs of the community
The Best Presidents also share some of the fantastic club projects they currently have in operation, such as providing school supplies to 3000 local students and an art gallery fundraiser introducing the public to Rotary.